We are so happy to have made it to the top 10 acts out of all across Canada for CBC Music’s Searchlight contest for Canada’s Best New Artist! We may not have won the whole contest, but we are so excited to have made it as far as we did.
But we would not have made it as far as we did without all of you! Thank you SO MUCH for your continuous and daily support. We are so touched that so many of you were voting for us – obviously, we would not have made it to the national Top 10 without your votes!
There is no way we can thank everyone individually for their support throughout Searchlight, but we are going to foolishly try to name a few people we’d like to thank:
- Avid Napper. “The Longest Night” would not exist without Avid Napper’s part. It was Charles, after all, that wrote the signature synth riff and drum beats, added his voice, and reminded his friends and families on a daily basis to vote for us. He’s also one of the most successful collaboration projects I’ve ever worked on. Avid Napper, you are awesome!
- Ben Leggett, for mixing The Longest Night. You did a great job of working with our raw home-recorded tracks, and obviously people liked it!
- Denise Lebleu, our official band photographer, who braved the cold Arctic climate to do an unusual outdoor photoshoot with us. I swear my legs are still blue from that bathing suit photo!
- Jeremy Smith, whom I believe we have now promoted to National Director of the SBSFANFC (Scary Bear Soundtrack Featuring Avid Napper Fan Club)
- The other Searchlight musicians! This year, we were so pleased to have discovered great new music. We have a bunch of new songs to be added to our playlist that we can’t wait to play at our next dance party. We are so glad to have met you! In particular, a HUGE shout-out to Team Mixtape! Also, to our fellow Nunavut musicians The Trade-offs. We are so excited for you to arrive in Cambridge Bay next week! We can’t wait to go to a good old rock-and-roll show.
- Radio show hosts: One of the biggest pleasures we’ve had during this contest was hearing our song The Longest Night being played on the radio! I still haven’t gotten used to hearing the sound of my own voice on air, but we were so happy to hear our song get some air play. Special thanks to the following hosts: Tamara Fairchild (Modern Mixtape, CFRT FM Iqaluit), Allison Devereaux (Trail’s End, CBC Radio 1 Yellowknife), Lina (Ladies First, CHUO FM Ottawa – thanks for playing a whole hour’s worth of our music!), Loren McGinnis (The Trailbreaker, CBC Radio One Yellowknife), Mark Christie (Elicit Iqaluit, CFRT FM – thanks for playing our song EVERY WEEK. Wow!), Ryan (Whatever’s Cool With Me, CKCU FM Ottawa), Sook-yin Lee (Definitely Not the Opera, CBC Radio 1 (Jacey (Feel Real Radio, CKLB FM Yellowknife), Amanda Putz (Bandwidth, CBC Radio 1 Ontario), Julie Lalonde (The Third Wave, CHUO FM Ottawa)
- the Journalists/Bloggers: Thank you so much for your great articles about us, Sarah Rogers (The Nunatsiaq News); Sarah Bradfield (News/North Nunavut); Finding True North
- the Searchlight folks and other CBC folks: Mike Miner, Linsday Michael, Ann Lang, Alan Neal, Grant Lawrence , Judges Sarah Slean, Torquil Campbell and Kardinal Offishall
- AND EVERYONE WHO VOTED FOR US.
Remember, you can still download our song Victoria Island – all proceeds from the sale of this song will go towards Cambridge Bay initiatives, including the local food bank, the local dog rescue & welfare organization, and other needy families in town.
And for those of you in Cambridge Bay, we’ll see you at our next show!